Sometimes a small film can be the best thing you’ll see. While I’m one that thrilled to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and loved Guardians of the Galaxy, I’m also interested in a whole lot of other films. One that’s really close to being my top contender for the year that’s not over yet is Fury as that film has really wowed me. But I want another viewing before I really formulate a final opinion on it.
The film that still holds me this year though, the one that I keep looking at and wanting to re-watch even though I have lots of other things to see, is Her. Growing up in the world of technology as I have over the years, seeing the way it’s brought people together, pushed people apart and has been a friend and crutch for just as many, Joaquin Phoenix puts in a fantastic performance here that shows us someone that a lot of people can really identify with if they really open themselves up to it. A lot of attention is given to Scarlett Johansson of course, as it should because she brings a great performance to life here just through her voice, but it’s the pairing that works for me and Phoenix really brings it home the extra mile with the way it all comes together. With some great set design, locations used, careful choices in music and sounds in general, Her is a film that reveals a little more about itself each time you watch it. And I’m sure it’ll change in perception as the viewer gets older as well and has different experiences that can color it.
Plot concept: A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that’s designed to meet his every need.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsLZiohxaD4?rel=0]
0 comments