Pop culture has ruined the Star Wars experience.
“Wait!” you say. “Star Wars and Pop Culture are fabulous together!”
Yes, I wouldn’t be able to write this weekly article if Star Wars and Pop Culture hadn’t become BFFs. I agree, I feel all warm and fuzzy when I hear someone else use an iconic line from my favorite movies. Yes, I feel the joy of tee shirts and YouTube videos with cats singing the Star Wars theme.
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEYRZE9JcFA?rel=0&w=560&h=315]
Let’s consider our children, though, and some of the thrilling discoveries they will never make on their own. As parents, we can try to keep their head in the sand, but I think we all have to admit it just won’t work. They will know ahead of time that…
The silly creature in the swamps of Dagobah is a master Jedi
Perhaps this seems like a minor point, but I remember precisely the feeling I got when Yoda’s true nature was revealed. I giggled at him, laughing as he and Artoo struggled over the snack. I got a few brief moments of wonder, and experienced the same small shock Luke felt when Yoda’s voice suddenly changed and he passed judgement on the aspiring Jedi. I’m not sure there is a person on this planet with ANY exposure to television, malls, or American culture who doesn’t practically pop out of the womb knowing Yoda.
Luke and Leia are twins
Do you remember the fun of watching Han and Luke compete for Leia’s affection? The swing across the chasm with the kiss “for luck”? The debate over Yoda’s statement that there “Is another”? The tortuous wait to discover exactly what he meant? This generation of Star Wars fans will never know those feelings.
Darth Vader is their father
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgmNyQEz4E?rel=0&w=560&h=315]
“Search your feelings.. you KNOW it to be true.” Ah, the agony! The torture of finally discovering the true nature of Luke’s father. The anguish we shared with Luke as he finally got Obi-Wan to admit that Darth hadn’t actually killed Anakin. Hearing Kenobi state that what he said was true “from a certain point of view” was probably my first experience with the ambiguity of truth telling. These moments of revelation are forever stolen from my own sons. They’ve always known the birth name of Lord Vader.
Thanks to the proliferation of shirts and memes and YouTube videos, no one else will get to experience those sequences the way I did. I love pop culture, but I am sure glad they weren’t around when I was first experiencing the wonder that is Star Wars.
What sequences are you glad weren’t spoiled for YOU? Until next week – may the Force be with you!
0 comments